Creating Secure Passwords
A secure password should satisfy the following:
- Be at least 12 characters in length (more is better).
- Does NOT contain dictionary words from any language (unless it is a passphrase), proper names, nor your username.
- Contain one or more of the following:
- Upper case alpha character (A-Z)
- Lower case alpha character (a-z)
- Numeric character (0-9)
- Special character (` ! @ $ % ^ & * - _ = + [ ] ; : ' " , < . > / ?)
Examples of STRONG passwords:
Examples of POOR passwords:
Examples of STRONG passphrases:
Take highway #121 to the rustic Napa winery.
Shall we meet for a cup of coffee at 9:00AM?
Examples of POOR passphrases:
To be or not to be
Gone with the wind